Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The 9000th Thread About Warhammer.

Go down 
+13
Korash
Lyacine
Scrubdaddy
Polarity
Honed
PB
Cruven
Ichaerus
Holyhoof
Dimidréas
Galt
Bakeyero
Secondary
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Secondary

Secondary

The 9000th Thread About Warhammer. Empty
PostSubject: The 9000th Thread About Warhammer.   The 9000th Thread About Warhammer. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 8:50 am

Other threads are tl;dr.

....I've been thinking about trying it, will it be worth it?
Back to top Go down
Bakeyero

Bakeyero

PostSubject: Re: The 9000th Thread About Warhammer.   The 9000th Thread About Warhammer. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 8:50 am

it's a trap!
Back to top Go down
Galt

Galt

PostSubject: Re: The 9000th Thread About Warhammer.   The 9000th Thread About Warhammer. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 9:44 am

Secondary wrote:
will it be worth it?

Yes. Ungrim server, destruction side.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fuckyermother.com
Secondary

Secondary

PostSubject: Re: The 9000th Thread About Warhammer.   The 9000th Thread About Warhammer. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 10:13 am

Cool. Know any sites that are better at describing the classes then the terrible fucking way they talk about it on the warhammer page?
Back to top Go down
Galt

Galt

PostSubject: Re: The 9000th Thread About Warhammer.   The 9000th Thread About Warhammer. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 10:38 am

I'll quote something that ragrot posted on the old CS board.

Quote :

This is only a very simplified comparison and hardly does the Careers any justice over the way WOW's classes and specs are played. Go to the "Armies of WAR" section on http://www.warhammeronline.com for more indepth details about the Careers if you like.

General Career Type:
Blue = Tank/Utility
Red = Melee DPS
Yellow = Ranged DPS
Green = Healer/Utility

WAR Career - WOW Class/Spec/Playstyle

ORDER

EMPIRE:
Warrior Priest - Pally with ret and holy trees maxed out
Bright Wizard - basic Fire Mage
Witch Hunter - Rogue that also uses a pistol

DWARVES:
Ironbreaker - Prot/Arms Warrior that holds Grudges*
Engineer - MM Hunter (no pet) with engineering profession (also, think Team Fortress)
Rune Priest - Dps Disc/holy Priest

HIGH ELVES:
Shadow Warrior - MM/Survival Hunter without pet
Swordmaster - Prot/Arms Warrior that chains together attacks
Archmage - Ele/Resto Shaman combo
White Lion - BM Hunter that only uses melee

DESTRUCTION

CHAOS:
Marauder - Fury Warrior with offhand weapon mutations
Chosen - Prot/Arms Warrior with auras that debuff
Zealot - Dps Disc/Holy Priest
Magus - Mage/Demo Lock (flies around on a disc)

GREENSKINS:
Black Orc - Prot/Arms Warrior that chains together attacks
Shaman - Ele/Resto Shaman combo
Squig Herder - Hunter with different pets that give bonuses

DARK ELVES:
Witch Elf - basic Ass/Sub Rogue
Disciple Of Khaine - Pally with ret and holy trees maxed out
Sorceress - Lock/Frost Mage (builds up crit and damage with each cast)

These descriptions don't go much into the secondary combat mechanics that the classes have but one big thing is that no one has mana. Abilities are governed by Action Points which pretty much function just like energy on a rogue. Some of the classes have a system similar to rogues where certain abilities build up combo point-like resources which unlock finishers. Others have sort of a rage type mechanic for their secondary abilities like the Disciple of Khaine where you do damage and can collect up to 250 soul essence or something which is then used for healing. Its like a ret pally that can't heal unless he's doing damage.
Back to top Go down
Dimidréas

Dimidréas

PostSubject: Re: The 9000th Thread About Warhammer.   The 9000th Thread About Warhammer. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 10:45 am

Galt wrote:
Secondary wrote:
will it be worth it?

Yes. Ungrim server, destruction side.

Wasteland, destro ='(
Back to top Go down
Secondary

Secondary

PostSubject: Re: The 9000th Thread About Warhammer.   The 9000th Thread About Warhammer. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 11:15 am

Disciple of Khaine/Sorceress/Marauder seem pretty legit.
Back to top Go down
Galt

Galt

PostSubject: Re: The 9000th Thread About Warhammer.   The 9000th Thread About Warhammer. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 12:02 pm

Cruven would be able to go on a bit better than I about Sorcerer since he has one about r14 I believe. Marauders are pretty mean DPS and instead of stances they have various types of mutated left hands that each represent a different set of abilities, Ragrot would be able to explain them more in depth.

The DoK is cool, their 'finisher' mechanic meter looks like a cup with spikes on it and as you do damage it fills up with blood which you use to heal and buff/debuff. They look cool too DW swords and wearing kind of robe looking armory but wear medium armor.
Back to top Go down
Galt

Galt

PostSubject: Re: The 9000th Thread About Warhammer.   The 9000th Thread About Warhammer. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 12:10 pm

All of this doesn't even go into the morale system with is an entirely separate secondary resource system whose mechanic is similar among all of the classes but the abilities it provides are different of course. As you do well in battle (do shit and don't die) your morale builds up to 4 tiers and each tier has an increasingly potent ability that uses your morale.

That of course doesn't even go into tactics with are a long list of buffs of which you choose a few at a time and populate your tactics slots and can change them around how you see fit. A given tactic will be available to several classes but not all tactics are available to all classes. There are some tactics you unlock by spending your renown points and others you train like abilities.

Renown points are spent in a similar way to how talent points are in wow except as you spend your points you are unlocking stat buffs and tactics, at least in the lower ranks that I have looked through. You have enough renown points to spend equal to the renown rank you are. Renown rank is a leveling system which smaller leveling requirements that you are able to level to the max of what your current rank(character level) is. You only get renown, which acts as xp to your renown rank, when killing/healing/completing objectives/winning in rvr and scenarios(battle grounds).

There is also a talent system called Mastery which is very similar to wow's talent system where you start at level 11 accruing mastery points which you can spend to unlock new abilities and stat bonuses. There aren't branching paths though, it is a linear progression from 1-20 on each of three mastery trees available. I guess that would make them telephone poles instead of trees. Mastery Telephone Poles, I like it...
Back to top Go down
Holyhoof

Holyhoof

PostSubject: Re: The 9000th Thread About Warhammer.   The 9000th Thread About Warhammer. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 2:05 pm

Grimnir - Order.

And yes, its alot of fun.
Back to top Go down
Galt

Galt

PostSubject: Re: The 9000th Thread About Warhammer.   The 9000th Thread About Warhammer. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 2:28 pm

If you get an itch to play destruction there are lots of OG gorg on Ungrim. I know the DDT days are before your time but its a lot of us on there.
Back to top Go down
Ichaerus
Officer
Officer
Ichaerus

PostSubject: Re: The 9000th Thread About Warhammer.   The 9000th Thread About Warhammer. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 6:10 pm

Hot damn, I want to fly around on a Disc!
Back to top Go down
Cruven

Cruven

PostSubject: Re: The 9000th Thread About Warhammer.   The 9000th Thread About Warhammer. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 10:16 am

Sorcer/ess is an awesome class - if you enjoy a mage type class in WoW, it's for you (see Bright Wizard if you go Order).

The mechanic for casting is that each spell costs action points (mana) and adds a number of "dark magic" (not sure what it is on B.Wizards), as your Dark Magic gets higher on a 0-100 scale, your critical strike/critical damage increases. The negative effect is that the higher you fill your dark magic, the more often/likely it will be that you suffer blow back where you receive damage when casting a spell.

Lots of fun, no more just smashing buttons and winning.

The reason WAR > WoW - I've yet to say to myself "God, I wish I was max level so I wouldn't have to do this grind anymore."
Back to top Go down
PB

PostSubject: Re: The 9000th Thread About Warhammer.   The 9000th Thread About Warhammer. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 10:18 am

Cruven wrote:
The reason WAR > WoW - I've yet to say to myself "God, I wish I was max level so I wouldn't have to do this grind anymore."
To be fair, this probably applies to WOW when you're leveling the first time, too.
Back to top Go down
https://damagedone.forumotion.com
Cruven

Cruven

PostSubject: Re: The 9000th Thread About Warhammer.   The 9000th Thread About Warhammer. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 10:31 am

Yeah, but I can't recall the last time when I received xp for pvping in a battleground.
Back to top Go down
Galt

Galt

PostSubject: Re: The 9000th Thread About Warhammer.   The 9000th Thread About Warhammer. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 10:40 am

Quote :

To be fair, this probably applies to WOW when you're leveling the first time, too.

Its pretty different from wow how the quests are organized and the role that scenarios take in the game. You just click a button too get in the queue and you go from where ever you are in the world. Since you're still getting xp by taking part in them its not as if you're hurting yourself by pvping right away. Also the way the quests work you aren't farming mobs for low drop rate quest items. For instance I had a quest to get 5 wolf paws for some dude, every time I killed a wolf I automatically got a paw without even looting. Not to mention there is a QuestHelper-like system built in where it indicates on the map where your quest objectives and turn ins are. I hate leveling in wow and I would hate it in war too if it weren't so different.

Cruven wrote:
(not sure what it is on B.Wizards), as your Dark Magic gets higher on a 0-100 scale, your critical strike/critical damage increases.

Bright Wizard is pretty close except its called Combustion but certain moves build it and others consume it like rogue finishers whose intensity is dependent on how full your combustion meter is.
Back to top Go down
Galt

Galt

PostSubject: Re: The 9000th Thread About Warhammer.   The 9000th Thread About Warhammer. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 12:41 pm

This shows what I mean by the QuestHelperesque system built into war.

The 9000th Thread About Warhammer. AmywinehouseF_008

If you notice on the mini map there is a faint red line which is a border on one of the quest objective areas that are designated when you get a quest. I'm hovering over the red area with my mouse and you can see that its showing a tooltip that displays all the quests that take place in that given area. When you click them it brings up your book which acts like a quest log among other things.

Another neat picture where you can see some of the arcitecture and terrain graphics. Keep in mind my graphics settings are all on the lowest setting because my computer blows goats.

The 9000th Thread About Warhammer. AmywinehouseF_010
Back to top Go down
Honed

PostSubject: Re: The 9000th Thread About Warhammer.   The 9000th Thread About Warhammer. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 1:12 pm

ROFL love the name Galt.

In all honesty how do you think it compares to wow? Is there a decent raid format or is it all out pvp? I really haven't researched it at all save for looking at the races and classes.
Back to top Go down
Galt

Galt

PostSubject: Re: The 9000th Thread About Warhammer.   The 9000th Thread About Warhammer. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 2:05 pm

I like it better but I didn't like wow for the reasons that other people do like it so I don't think my opinion is going to be shared by everyone that has played wow. There is raiding in it, its not strictly pvp. One PvE aspect that war does better is the way quests are handled. In wow you have a village that acts as a hub where you get a bunch of quests at once and then go out and see what you can find. In war its loosely like this where camps have quest givers in it but as you walk out into the map the areas are like mini instances where when you step into it you're automatically taking part in some quest thats common to that certain area. If you complete the first quest it initiates a second phase and so on until a boss and then everyone's contributions are tabbed and then people roll for loot. There is less running back and forth to the quest hub to advance your quests and then you throw in the quest helper and things get super easy. Keep in mind, I'm still only in Tier 1 area as I just hit 10 and so my view on it is of the newbie zones and I hear the later zones are way better.

Here is another shot of the map displaying some of the quest objective areas and a tooltip that breaks down all the important map icons within a given shaded area.

The 9000th Thread About Warhammer. AmywinehouseF_014
Back to top Go down
Holyhoof

Holyhoof

PostSubject: Re: The 9000th Thread About Warhammer.   The 9000th Thread About Warhammer. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 4:26 pm

The only problem I'm having right now is how lopsided the factions are. Trying to do a scenario with 7-8 isn't worth a damn. Not to mention open RvR where numbers are what matters.
Back to top Go down
Secondary

Secondary

PostSubject: Re: The 9000th Thread About Warhammer.   The 9000th Thread About Warhammer. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 5:15 pm

Looks like I'll pick it up within the next few days and give it a shot.
Back to top Go down
Polarity

Polarity

PostSubject: Re: The 9000th Thread About Warhammer.   The 9000th Thread About Warhammer. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 8:23 pm

I've leveled 7 characters through Tier 1 Chaos, and never failed to enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
Secondary

Secondary

PostSubject: Re: The 9000th Thread About Warhammer.   The 9000th Thread About Warhammer. I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 3:24 pm

Sopringels, greenskin shaman on Ungrim. Waddup.
Back to top Go down
Galt

Galt

PostSubject: Re: The 9000th Thread About Warhammer.   The 9000th Thread About Warhammer. I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 5:37 pm

I'll put you on muh list.
Back to top Go down
Scrubdaddy

PostSubject: Re: The 9000th Thread About Warhammer.   The 9000th Thread About Warhammer. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 9:02 am

Is there a site out there for warhammer like elitest jerks for wow that i can read for a bit? been trying to find one but it seems as if the game might just be too new?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The 9000th Thread About Warhammer.   The 9000th Thread About Warhammer. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The 9000th Thread About Warhammer.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next