Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Computer

Go down 
+2
Taurentula
Tak
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Tak

Tak

New Computer Empty
PostSubject: New Computer   New Computer I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 7:22 pm

So, I need a new computer. And my parents are buying me one for a graduation present. Since I don't know shit about computers, I figured I'd ask up here. So, like what should I get? I want a good gaming computer that doesn't overheat now, or in four years from now. I also don't really want a Dell, because the one I have now has had a lot of problems. Especially overheating problems.

Also, one thing I DON'T want is to build my own computer. Why? Because I don't know shit about computers and I'm terrible at building stuff. I want something with a fucking warranty. So, whatever advice you put up here should have zero percent of my constructing shit.

EDIT: I want a desktop. No laptops.

Last edited by Tak on Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Taurentula

Taurentula

New Computer Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Computer   New Computer I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 11:05 am

PC or laptop?
Back to top Go down
Galt

Galt

New Computer Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Computer   New Computer I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 11:32 am

Before considering any avenue you want to keep something in mind. Core2Duo. Repeat that several times to yourself. You want a Core2Duo. You want a Core2Duo. You want a Core2Duo.

If you're not looking to get your hands dirty (building one) then get a gateway or a dell. Since you say you don't want a dell then that narrows it down a bit. The reason I say gateway is that their support is top notch. I don't have one at home but at work we have all gateways and they are well built computers. These are from 03 and they still have top notch cooling features by today's standards. I have had 1 HDD and 1 dvd drive go bad and in both cases I talked to a tech support person and they shipped the part out to me that day. They gave me time to recover what I could from the old HDD and provided me with a paid shipping box to send the old one back in.

Check out their site, you can put a decent one together for under 1k depending on if you plan to go baller with the monitor or not. With a good Core2Duo and enough ram (2gigs at least) then you can go big with the video card and things will be gravy. You don't want to go cheap with the cpu/ram and then get a beastly video card because you will be wasting your video card.

Speaking of video card, SLI is the top of the line tech at the moment but is not necessary to run today's games. Especially wow. If money isn't an object then go ahead and get SLI but don't feel like you have to make that leap just to have good visuals.

Play around on gateway.com and build one to fit your budget then post up the specs here, I'm sure plenty of us would be happy to critique it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fuckyermother.com
PB

New Computer Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Computer   New Computer I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 1:16 pm

I will second all of Galt's recommendations.

Core2Duo is an incredible processor at a great price. It's low priced because the QuadCore is the new rage, but if you aren't a video editor, you won't see the difference.

Jelly's old PC was a gateway and that thing ran great for 5+ years. In fact, the PC itself still runs great. It was the old graphics card (which was purchased at a later date) that prompted me to build her a new one. The machines are well designed (aesthetically) and are easy to open and tinker with, just in case you needed to add something down the road.

Finally, I recommend you go with 3GB or 4GB of memory (stick to DDR2 memory, DDR3 is overpriced, and PC6400 speed or higher speed).
Back to top Go down
https://damagedone.forumotion.com
Scrubdaddy

New Computer Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Computer   New Computer I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 4:57 pm

I 2nd PBs reccomendation of 3-4 GBs of memory at least if you plan on not upgrading anything for 4+ years. Memory is relatively inexpensive, and since you will be buying your computer (instead of building it), most likely it will come with some homo version of windows vista. The more memory the better with that OS.. its a hog.
Back to top Go down
Tak

Tak

New Computer Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Computer   New Computer I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 9:01 pm

When I get it, I'll reformat it and add an XP and a Linux partition.
Back to top Go down
Demoniack

Demoniack

New Computer Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Computer   New Computer I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 9:20 pm

Tak wrote:
When I get it, I'll reformat it and add an XP and a Linux partition.
Then get 2 GBs.... Max 3...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Computer Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Computer   New Computer I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Computer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Public Topics :: Off-Topic-
Jump to: