Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I feel... violated...

Go down 
+6
broms
Honed
grak
Necis
Istosalis
Vaslant
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Vaslant

Vaslant

I feel... violated... Empty
PostSubject: I feel... violated...   I feel... violated... I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 5:04 pm

So yea, while driving to get lunch today, I see this homeless guy, right? He has this sign, "Food, Money, Anything Helps!" So I figure I'd pick him up some food on the way back to the office. I get him a plain BigMac, with condiments, fries, etc. in the bag and a large Coca-Cola. I pull up to him, roll down my window and ask him if he's hungry and that I picked up the food for him on the way back to work. He looks at me and says, "No, thank you."

I see that I have 2 options next time (if ever I feel like being thoughtful again, I'm a bit perturbed atm):

1) Ask the person if they need food first, or
2) Just toss some money at them and HOPE they don't use it for drugs.

At any point, have you donated something to someone, homeless or not and felt weird about it afterwards, like you just got taken advantage of?

Oh snap, it's 5pm! Leaving the office nou, yay!!!

bbbbut... I still feel violated...

~ Sean
Back to top Go down
https://damagedone.forumotion.com/
Istosalis

PostSubject: Re: I feel... violated...   I feel... violated... I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 6:04 pm

friend and i were walking to the bus stop sophomore year of highschool

we see a homeless man. friend gives him an apple. homeless man throws it back at her and starts yelling. we run

so yes. as you said..give them money and hope its not for drugs

Neutral
Back to top Go down
Necis
Officer
Officer
Necis

PostSubject: Re: I feel... violated...   I feel... violated... I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Fuck them you pay taxes. We have social programs in place for people who are in legitimate need and are willing to put themselves back into a stable situation. I never give money to pan handlers...fuckem.
Back to top Go down
grak

grak

PostSubject: Re: I feel... violated...   I feel... violated... I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 7:57 pm

If someone looks genuinely malnourished, I ask them if they're hungry first. We have so many fake panhandlers in Austin it's unreal. The majority of them are either mentally ill or it's their job.
Back to top Go down
Vaslant

Vaslant

PostSubject: Re: I feel... violated...   I feel... violated... I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 8:13 am

Istosalis wrote:
we see a homeless man. friend gives him an apple. homeless man throws it back at her and starts yelling. we run
Maybe he wanted a hot meal? Next time heat the apple in the microwave and set the temp to tongue-searing. Wink

Necis wrote:
Fuck them you pay taxes. We have social programs in place for people who are in legitimate need and are willing to put themselves back into a stable situation. I never give money to pan handlers...fuckem.
So nice. Razz

grak wrote:
If someone looks genuinely malnourished, I ask them if they're hungry first. We have so many fake panhandlers in Austin it's unreal. The majority of them are either mentally ill or it's their job.
That's why I'm not comfortable giving money out. Food, I don't mind if they haven't eaten or look like they haven't eaten in a while.

I read or heard a news story once about how the homeless in Houston can make upwards of $30,000/yr tax-free just from playing on the emotions of the people driving by every day. Imagine they get $5/hr from random people. If they're there for 8 hours a day, that's $40/day, or in total $10-15k/yr. Double that to $10/hr, you do the math. If 200 cars pass by every hour, $5/hr would only require $1 from every 40 cars. On some streets in Houston, that's EASILY done. Then factor in the people that give more than $1. I mean, it's insane the potential for these people to make a small fortune with little or no consequences.

Honestly, I wish there would be some legislation passed to prevent ANYONE from soliciting passers-by for tax-free income. It is the law that is the enabler in this case, which allows the cycle to continue. Take them off the street and they have no choice but to admit themselves if they are incapable of supporting themselves with a stable income or find a job like the rest of us. I do know there are some that have lost everything, but a swift kick in the ass tends to keep me in check from time-to-time, I think they all need one too.

~ Sean
Back to top Go down
Honed

PostSubject: Re: I feel... violated...   I feel... violated... I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 10:11 am

They passed legislation years ago for NYC and jesus how it has changed. To someone who hasn't been here it may look like there are quite a few Homeless people but compared to just 10 years ago it's night and day.

I can remember as a kid making a plan of how to ignore them on the subway(by and large the craziest homeless people reside near the subways).

I think you did the right thing and it would lead me to believe that the guy hoped for money rather than food(surmise from that what you will). That or he is watching his weight.
Back to top Go down
broms

broms

PostSubject: Re: I feel... violated...   I feel... violated... I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 10:42 am

I felt sorry for a guy that would sit infront of a gas station I stopped at regularly so I figured I would give him 5 bucks. A few days later I seen him going behind the same gas station with another guy surely to score some kind of drug...... never again.
Back to top Go down
Petrus

Petrus

PostSubject: Re: I feel... violated...   I feel... violated... I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 10:47 am

Yeah, why let him use it for drug money when you could have used it yourself
Back to top Go down
http://gunsforhire.wowstead.com/
broms

broms

PostSubject: Re: I feel... violated...   I feel... violated... I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 10:57 am

Petrus wrote:
Yeah, why let him use it for drug money when you could have used it yourself

DUDE I KNOW!
Back to top Go down
Necis
Officer
Officer
Necis

PostSubject: Re: I feel... violated...   I feel... violated... I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 11:20 am

Damn it Petrus you beat me to it!!!!!
Back to top Go down
broms

broms

PostSubject: Re: I feel... violated...   I feel... violated... I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 11:37 am

I mean if the dude wanted to smoke some weed I could of helped him out with that but Im sure he was looking for the ROX
Back to top Go down
Vaslant

Vaslant

PostSubject: Re: I feel... violated...   I feel... violated... I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 12:15 pm

Honed wrote:
That or he is watching his weight.
I lol'd.

~ Sean
Back to top Go down
Demoniack

Demoniack

PostSubject: Re: I feel... violated...   I feel... violated... I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 2:51 pm

I never give cash to homeless people unless they got a knife and I'm stuck with them in the Elevator. (real story)
I study in social services so I give them adress/phone number of differents place to get help.
Back to top Go down
Istosalis

PostSubject: Re: I feel... violated...   I feel... violated... I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Quote :
Maybe he wanted a hot meal? Next time heat the apple in the microwave and set the temp to tongue-searing.

reminds me of a story my friends dad told me a long time ago...

his friends and him used to heat quarters when they got bored..like..REALLY REALLY HOT. and go down to the bridge where all the homeless people hung out. and throw a bunch of them out to them. and watch them chase the quarters..and burn themselves when they try to hold on to them

my friends dad is a funny guy.
Back to top Go down
grak

grak

PostSubject: Re: I feel... violated...   I feel... violated... I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 1:56 am

Quote :
Honestly, I wish there would be some legislation passed to prevent ANYONE from soliciting passers-by for tax-free income. It is the law that is the enabler in this case, which allows the cycle to continue. Take them off the street and they have no choice but to admit themselves if they are incapable of supporting themselves with a stable income or find a job like the rest of us. I do know there are some that have lost everything, but a swift kick in the ass tends to keep me in check from time-to-time, I think they all need one too.

As I said before, many homeless people have some kind of mental illness; environmental, substance abuse related, PTSD/war related, etc. Making it illegal to solicit just moves the problem elsewhere and doesn't help anyone. A lot of the street population stems from the dissolution of the invalid care system. Democrats felt like we needed to be "confronted" with the mentally ill, not sequestered from them. Republicans had a much more pure motive: they wanted to slash social spending. End result? Thousands of people with no skills for functioning in the real world and many of them with debilitating mental handicaps released onto the street. Bravo politicians...

I'm more concerned with someone getting hit or obstructing traffic tbh. If people want to throw away their hard earned cash to some smelly bum, they're retarded to start with, but that's their decision. What do they say about a fool and his money?
Back to top Go down
Feardotpew

Feardotpew

PostSubject: Re: I feel... violated...   I feel... violated... I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 2:18 am

So this one time, I'm walking down a street and the neighborhood bum asks me for change. I looked him right in the eye and without thinking, I said "Sorry I'm poor". I walked away quickly after realizing what I said. True story.
Back to top Go down
Ichaerus
Officer
Officer
Ichaerus

PostSubject: Re: I feel... violated...   I feel... violated... I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 5:15 am

I always make a point to give generously to the begging in hopes that the next time I go by the same area he/she has OD'd.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I feel... violated...   I feel... violated... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I feel... violated...
Page 1 of 1