Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ask me about fish

Go down 
+2
Vaslant
grak
6 posters
AuthorMessage
grak

grak

Ask me about fish Empty
PostSubject: Ask me about fish   Ask me about fish I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 1:21 pm

Anybody else in DD into aquariums, fish, or aquaculture? I recently made a friend who is getting started with the hobby and it got me re-interested in keeping mine healthy again. Just throwing it out there...
Back to top Go down
Vaslant

Vaslant

Ask me about fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask me about fish   Ask me about fish I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 1:27 pm

Just be fore-warned not to let your woman clean the tank unless you properly debrief her on what she needs to do.

Learn a lesson from my experience, because all you'll end up with if you don't is a house smelling like dead fish.

Also, putting fish in cups/bowls w/o properly covering them will leave you with dried out fish on the floor as well.

And yes, I did say DEBRIEF!

~ Sean
Back to top Go down
https://damagedone.forumotion.com/
grak

grak

Ask me about fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask me about fish   Ask me about fish I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 1:35 pm

My wife has completely relegated the fish husbandry duties to me. I like it that way. If I ever had to be gone for any length of time, the procedures I'd have to lay out would suck. Especially for water testing and changing. I have live plants as well, so it would be even more painful.
Back to top Go down
Vaslant

Vaslant

Ask me about fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask me about fish   Ask me about fish I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 1:55 pm

Yea, keeping the pH at the right level isn't hard once things get balanced, but considering our tank had a built-in filter that supplied helpful bacteria to eat the algae, let's just say that I'll never let my fiancee buy fish alone again. She got a Chinese Algae Eater (Gyrinocheilus aymonieri) because she thought they looked cool being "stuck" to the tank walls. Little did she know that the bacteria that ate the algae that was already installed in our tank was actually removing the algae eater's food supply from the picture. I was out of town when she bought it and within 3 days I believe it died.

So, I banned her from the fish store unless I went with her. Lol.

Later that year we sold our 40-gallon tank and I haven't gotten back into it since. Now we have 2 dogs and well, let's just say they are keeping my finances... fluctuating. Gotta love holes in the wall and torn up edges of carpet. Good thing we don't have kids yet and I'm dreading the day we install hardwood. I'll have to put down some [yet-to-be engineered] titanium clear-coat on the wood after it's installed.

~ Sean
Back to top Go down
Aliissa

Aliissa

Ask me about fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask me about fish   Ask me about fish I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 2:21 pm

You'll see dogs with hard floor is fun!! they cant stop and they run into the wall! lawl
Back to top Go down
Vaslant

Vaslant

Ask me about fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask me about fish   Ask me about fish I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 2:24 pm

Aliissa wrote:
You'll see dogs with hard floor is fun!! they cant stop and they run into the wall! lawl
You're a hard floor.

~ Sean
Back to top Go down
Aliissa

Aliissa

Ask me about fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask me about fish   Ask me about fish I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 2:25 pm

What?!
Back to top Go down
Vaslant

Vaslant

Ask me about fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask me about fish   Ask me about fish I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 2:26 pm

Aliissa wrote:
What?!
You know what I'm talking about... *wink*

~ Sean
Back to top Go down
grak

grak

Ask me about fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask me about fish   Ask me about fish I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 2:28 pm

I got tired of scraping green spot algae off my tank so I went to the store and bought 4 nerite snails yesterday. They are doing a bang-up job so far. Haven't played with the Chinese eaters much. They're more for cleaning diatom algae and keeping plants groomed right? I had a couple otocinclus (sp?) a while back and they seemed to do okay. But these snails are ravenous.

My pH jumps around a bit as I'm currently injecting CO2 and there isn't a lot of plant mass to take it up yet. That and I'm trying to keep my water more soft to keep stress down so that doesn't help pH stability either. I'm really thinking about investing in an under-sink RO/DI system as our tap water is essentially liquid rock and I'm tired of paying real money for RO/distilled water. Fish store sells RO water for $0.25/gal, but it's a long ass drive. Last time I measured, I had dKH~30 coming out of the tap. The two 14" tiger oscars I used to have loved it though :-)
Back to top Go down
- Z -

- Z -

Ask me about fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask me about fish   Ask me about fish I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 2:46 pm

This thread is the definition of the facepalm.
Back to top Go down
Rishana

Rishana

Ask me about fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask me about fish   Ask me about fish I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 3:42 pm

Ask me about fish Facepalm2ly3
Back to top Go down
Vaslant

Vaslant

Ask me about fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask me about fish   Ask me about fish I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 3:49 pm

- Z - wrote:
This thread is the definition of the facepalm.
Only fish talk or unmotivational pictures allowed, please. Thanks.

To fix your post, - Z -:

- Z - wrote:
Ask me about fish Facepalm2
~ Sean
Back to top Go down
Necis
Officer
Officer
Necis

Ask me about fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask me about fish   Ask me about fish I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 6:22 pm

K so srsly my wife is into this hobby and we have an 180 gallon tank with African lake fish. Words to the wise the bigger the aquarium the less work it is and once you get shit stale NEVER EVER remove all you bacteria from your filters. Look into a water conditioning dechlorinator as they work wonders.
Back to top Go down
grak

grak

Ask me about fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask me about fish   Ask me about fish I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 9:46 pm

Yah, I have dechlorinator stuff Necis. Just my tap water is so hard from dissolved minerals that my plants can't really do well in it. So I've gone to getting the 2.5 gal plastic containers from the grocery store for when I do water changes and then I add baking soda to get some buffer into the water (my GH is always higher than my KH, so I'll start adding limestone when it gets too low). But $3 a week is retarded for just changing 10% of the water.

I've seen RO/DI systems for ~$170, but I'd kind of like a cheaper source to get one. Especially since I'm probably going to have to upgrade my lighting system and that's never cheap...

Edit:

Btw, your African lake fish would love my tap water. They are happy in very hard water. But I want live plants and more south american species and they need very soft water. Anyone ever tried to keep discus? I heard they are a pain in the ass...never had the time or discretionary income to try them.
Back to top Go down
Necis
Officer
Officer
Necis

Ask me about fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask me about fish   Ask me about fish I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 10:59 am

Discus are very hard to keep and I have live plants in my tank that thrive so well I sell my extra back to the store for store credit. Java fern thrives in harder water and can help balance things out. What is the size of your tank?
Back to top Go down
grak

grak

Ask me about fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask me about fish   Ask me about fish I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 12:13 pm

I have a 25gal hex set up right now. I've been thinking about resealing a 70gal I have and getting that one started, but tbh I can't afford what it would take to get it going at the moment. Would need a new lighting system, flourite, and plants.

Ooh, also I've got a bunch of plants coming from azgardens.com on Monday. Ever bought from them? With all your store credit, I'm sure it's no contest, but they are pretty cheap and came recommended to me by people who are better at the hobby than me.
Back to top Go down
Necis
Officer
Officer
Necis

Ask me about fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask me about fish   Ask me about fish I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 3:10 pm

No I have never purchased anything aquarium related online. How many and what type filters are you using on that tank?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ask me about fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask me about fish   Ask me about fish I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ask me about fish
Page 1 of 1