HomePortalFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 
 

 Prop 8 and Christian Traditions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Dimidréas

avatar

Posts : 417
Join date : 2008-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:52 pm

Galt wrote:
God sent his only son to earth to die for our sins so that we might see eternity in heaven.

Literal translation ftl.

"Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors wife."

Literal translations FTMFL.
I mean, my neighbors wife's got some big ass titties.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shelarahn

avatar

Posts : 880
Join date : 2008-05-10
Age : 27
Location : Red State

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:54 pm

Galt wrote:
God sent his only son to earth to die for our sins so that we might see eternity in heaven.

Literal translation ftl.

Ok see thats one thats literal. A majority of the old testament is non literal, but the New Testament is very literal, except Revelations.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
- Z -

avatar

Posts : 2012
Join date : 2007-12-09
Location : Surrounded by primitive screwheads

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:56 pm

You have got to be kidding me...





Tread. Lightly.

_________________
I don't know why my girlfriend gets so mad at me for always being right, I don't get mad at her for always being wrong.
Zyzzx - 80 Shadow Priest
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Petrus

avatar

Posts : 651
Join date : 2008-05-10
Age : 29
Location : Minnesota

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:00 pm

Obamarahn wrote:
Galt wrote:
God sent his only son to earth to die for our sins so that we might see eternity in heaven.

Literal translation ftl.

Ok see thats one thats literal. A majority of the old testament is non literal, but the New Testament is very literal, except Revelations.

There's no S on the end of that book. I personally like the antiquated long forms of the book names (go figure, huh?), such as "The Revelation of St. John The Divine." Even more fun to say when you're doing the readings.

Just remember - if it weren't for the Book of Revelation, we wouldn't have the four horsemen in Naxxramas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gunsforhire.wowstead.com/
Shelarahn

avatar

Posts : 880
Join date : 2008-05-10
Age : 27
Location : Red State

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:05 pm

Petrus wrote:
Obamarahn wrote:
Galt wrote:
God sent his only son to earth to die for our sins so that we might see eternity in heaven.

Literal translation ftl.

Ok see thats one thats literal. A majority of the old testament is non literal, but the New Testament is very literal, except Revelations.

There's no S on the end of that book. I personally like the antiquated long forms of the book names (go figure, huh?), such as "The Revelation of St. John The Divine." Even more fun to say when you're doing the readings.

Just remember - if it weren't for the Book of Revelation, we wouldn't have the four horsemen in Naxxramas.

Good point, but when I say don't take it literally, I mean all these people running around going "o noes teh rapture, halpz". There's no Rapture people, Revelations is a bunch of analogys for the early church and their fight against Roman opression.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
taldra

avatar

Posts : 187
Join date : 2008-06-06
Age : 34

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:24 pm

Obamarahn wrote:
Petrus wrote:
Obamarahn wrote:
Galt wrote:
God sent his only son to earth to die for our sins so that we might see eternity in heaven.

Literal translation ftl.

Ok see thats one thats literal. A majority of the old testament is non literal, but the New Testament is very literal, except Revelations.

There's no S on the end of that book. I personally like the antiquated long forms of the book names (go figure, huh?), such as "The Revelation of St. John The Divine." Even more fun to say when you're doing the readings.

Just remember - if it weren't for the Book of Revelation, we wouldn't have the four horsemen in Naxxramas.

Good point, but when I say don't take it literally, I mean all these people running around going "o noes teh rapture, halpz". There's no Rapture people, Revelations is a bunch of analogys for the early church and their fight against Roman opression.

AWWWW but i want my hell on earth Sad I've been hoping for some good zombie killing Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shelarahn

avatar

Posts : 880
Join date : 2008-05-10
Age : 27
Location : Red State

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:28 pm

taldra wrote:


AWWWW but i want my hell on earth Sad I've been hoping for some good zombie killing Crying or Very sad

Sorry to disappoint you, you can have Hell on earth in 4 billion years when the sun expands and consumes our planet?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
taldra

avatar

Posts : 187
Join date : 2008-06-06
Age : 34

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:35 pm

Obamarahn wrote:
taldra wrote:


AWWWW but i want my hell on earth Sad I've been hoping for some good zombie killing Crying or Very sad

Sorry to disappoint you, you can have Hell on earth in 4 billion years when the sun expands and consumes our planet?

YAY!!!!!! .... so does GOD have an issue if i start using magic to extend my life expectancy out that long?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Galt

avatar

Posts : 767
Join date : 2007-12-11
Age : 33
Location : Get Fucked

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:36 pm

Obamarahn wrote:
Ok see thats one thats literal.

I didn't even have to fish very hard for this; I'm slightly surprised. If I had a book that claimed invisible people created everything and will punish you when you die I would want it to be a little more clear. At least the bible is a complete work and has never been changed so that its merely interpretation that affects the overall work's message. Waaait a sec....
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fuckyermother.com
Shelarahn

avatar

Posts : 880
Join date : 2008-05-10
Age : 27
Location : Red State

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:39 pm

Galt wrote:
Obamarahn wrote:
Ok see thats one thats literal.

I didn't even have to fish very hard for this; I'm slightly surprised. If I had a book that claimed invisible people created everything and will punish you when you die I would want it to be a little more clear. At least the bible is a complete work and has never been changed so that its merely interpretation that affects the overall work's message. Waaait a sec....

Alright look, there's a lot of things I let slide that you say, but don't get started on my religion ok?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
- Z -

avatar

Posts : 2012
Join date : 2007-12-09
Location : Surrounded by primitive screwheads

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:44 pm

Either A) ignore his comments, or B) don't post in a thread pertaining to religion.



I wasn't kidding earlier when I said "tread lightly" (it should be noted that this was NOT aimed at Shelarahn alone). I'm not going to limit the topics that can be discussed on the OT forum, I will "limit" the posters first.

_________________
I don't know why my girlfriend gets so mad at me for always being right, I don't get mad at her for always being wrong.
Zyzzx - 80 Shadow Priest


Last edited by - Z - on Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shelarahn

avatar

Posts : 880
Join date : 2008-05-10
Age : 27
Location : Red State

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:45 pm

- Z - wrote:
Either A) ignore his comments, or B) don't post in a thread pertaining to religion.



I wasn't kidding earlier when I said "tread lightly" (it should be noted that this was NOT aimed at Shelarahn alone). I'm not going to limit the topics that can be discussed on the OT forum, I will "limit" the posters first.

I'll go with A) because for once I'm not trying to start something.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amalgarashi

avatar

Posts : 412
Join date : 2008-04-17
Age : 27
Location : Bel Air, MD

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:47 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR5KI0qYAm8
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shelarahn

avatar

Posts : 880
Join date : 2008-05-10
Age : 27
Location : Red State

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:49 pm

Amalgarashi wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR5KI0qYAm8

That picture is giving me nightmares
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amalgarashi

avatar

Posts : 412
Join date : 2008-04-17
Age : 27
Location : Bel Air, MD

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:50 pm

idk which one i unjustifiably hate more, the left or right one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dimidréas

avatar

Posts : 417
Join date : 2008-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:35 pm

Amalgarashi wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR5KI0qYAm8

One on the left has GOT to be photoshopped, cause her head / body ratio is quite fucked up. If it's not...

/shudders
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kamma

avatar

Posts : 378
Join date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:51 am

Just going along your argument here shel. If the new testament is literal, than in John, Jesus literally says to not take him literally. At least, I was able to write an extended paper during college arguing that and the professor loved it - and keep in mind she was all about the fire and the brimstone. The assumption of the paper was that John should be taken literally, the result was that Jesus doesn't want you to take it literally.

See what happens if you create any sort of gross generalization?

I suggest you give up on any sort of rule of thumb and simply use a combination of historical context and juxtaposing translation (and original) as the basis of any interpretation. The bible is a great collection of books, but if I learned anything in college it is that anyone can take anything and make it say anything. Grains of salt and overwhelming evidence are needed for any argument in the humanities as compared to science. IE it takes one legitimate observation to refute a scientific theory. It takes a body of legitimate observation to refute a theory in the humanities.

This is why Sodom et al is not a good basis for the good/badness of homosexuality. It is in complete contrast with much of the rest of the bible, and if we use your rule of thumb, the old testament should not be taken literally.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Damacus

avatar

Posts : 288
Join date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:11 am

Kamma wrote:
Just going along your argument here shel. If the new testament is literal, than in John, Jesus literally says to not take him literally. At least, I was able to write an extended paper during college arguing that and the professor loved it - and keep in mind she was all about the fire and the brimstone. The assumption of the paper was that John should be taken literally, the result was that Jesus doesn't want you to take it literally.

See what happens if you create any sort of gross generalization?

I suggest you give up on any sort of rule of thumb and simply use a combination of historical context and juxtaposing translation (and original) as the basis of any interpretation. The bible is a great collection of books, but if I learned anything in college it is that anyone can take anything and make it say anything. Grains of salt and overwhelming evidence are needed for any argument in the humanities as compared to science. IE it takes one legitimate observation to refute a scientific theory. It takes a body of legitimate observation to refute a theory in the humanities.

This is why Sodom et al is not a good basis for the good/badness of homosexuality. It is in complete contrast with much of the rest of the bible, and if we use your rule of thumb, the old testament should not be taken literally.

tl;dr: christianity is a fuckin' joke.

SEE WHAT I DID THERE!?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shelarahn

avatar

Posts : 880
Join date : 2008-05-10
Age : 27
Location : Red State

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:16 am

Damacus wrote:
Kamma wrote:
Just going along your argument here shel. If the new testament is literal, than in John, Jesus literally says to not take him literally. At least, I was able to write an extended paper during college arguing that and the professor loved it - and keep in mind she was all about the fire and the brimstone. The assumption of the paper was that John should be taken literally, the result was that Jesus doesn't want you to take it literally.

See what happens if you create any sort of gross generalization?

I suggest you give up on any sort of rule of thumb and simply use a combination of historical context and juxtaposing translation (and original) as the basis of any interpretation. The bible is a great collection of books, but if I learned anything in college it is that anyone can take anything and make it say anything. Grains of salt and overwhelming evidence are needed for any argument in the humanities as compared to science. IE it takes one legitimate observation to refute a scientific theory. It takes a body of legitimate observation to refute a theory in the humanities.

This is why Sodom et al is not a good basis for the good/badness of homosexuality. It is in complete contrast with much of the rest of the bible, and if we use your rule of thumb, the old testament should not be taken literally.

tl;dr: christianity is a fuckin' joke.

SEE WHAT I DID THERE!?

Ok see that's another one of those thing's that's just too far
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Damacus

avatar

Posts : 288
Join date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:17 am

ironic bear is ironic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shelarahn

avatar

Posts : 880
Join date : 2008-05-10
Age : 27
Location : Red State

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:19 am

Damacus wrote:
ironic bear is ironic

Granted, but I'd never insult someones religion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Damacus

avatar

Posts : 288
Join date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:21 am

hahahahahahaha k.

just out of curiousity, do you have any gay friends or know anyone who's gay?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shelarahn

avatar

Posts : 880
Join date : 2008-05-10
Age : 27
Location : Red State

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:23 am

Damacus wrote:
hahahahahahaha k.

just out of curiousity, do you have any gay friends or know anyone who's gay?

One of my best friends in High School was gay, and I've known a lot of people that weren't out of the closet, but I was 99% sure they were. I mean, I love them regardless, I just don't love what they are.

BTW: For once, I'm being all serious face in this thread.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Damacus

avatar

Posts : 288
Join date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:26 am

or obviously understand "what they are" by any means
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Galt

avatar

Posts : 767
Join date : 2007-12-11
Age : 33
Location : Get Fucked

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:26 am

So you like gay people but you think their rights should be restricted, under law, because they are different?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fuckyermother.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   

Back to top Go down
 
Prop 8 and Christian Traditions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Christian Devereux
» Round 2: Australian Grand Prix 2011 - Melbourne.
» Those who play Tf2 or interested in Tf2
» Dynaform 5.9.1
» Mid-America Christian University

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Public Topics :: Off-Topic-
Jump to: