Share | 

Prop 8 and Christian Traditions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
AuthorMessage
grak

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:48 am

Quote :
Well to be fair, I think that it is perfectly fair to base our opinions off of our religion seeing as the US is a CHRISTIAN based country. So in that sense wouldn't it only make sense to base our opinions off of the bible..... God talks poorly of gays so even though not EVERYONE is religious or Christian based we are still a Christian country... sooooo

Interesting. Would you mind pointing out for me in the Constitution where it says we are a christian nation? By the way, the bible also says to stone homosexuals and take slaves. Why aren't you out collecting rocks and rounding up minorities?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Galt

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:51 am

Oh silly grak, those parts aren't literal! Duh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fuckyermother.com
grak

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:59 am

What was I thinking? Trying to carry out the orders of an omnipotent god who spelled it all out for me...what a nub.

Maybe someone can interpret these for me too:

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

If you buy a Hebrew slave, he is to serve for only six years. Set him free in the seventh year, and he will owe you nothing for his freedom. If he was single when he became your slave and then married afterward, only he will go free in the seventh year. But if he was married before he became a slave, then his wife will be freed with him. If his master gave him a wife while he was a slave, and they had sons or daughters, then the man will be free in the seventh year, but his wife and children will still belong to his master. But the slave may plainly declare, 'I love my master, my wife, and my children. I would rather not go free.' If he does this, his master must present him before God. Then his master must take him to the door and publicly pierce his ear with an awl. After that, the slave will belong to his master forever. (Exodus 21:2-6 NLT)

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

And just in case you think I'm cherry picking from that whacky old testament (silly jews!):

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)

Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed. If your master is a Christian, that is no excuse for being disrespectful. You should work all the harder because you are helping another believer by your efforts. Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to obey them. (1 Timothy 6:1-2 NLT)

The servant will be severely punished, for though he knew his duty, he refused to do it. "But people who are not aware that they are doing wrong will be punished only lightly. Much is required from those to whom much is given, and much more is required from those to whom much more is given." (Luke 12:47-48 NLT)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
taldra

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:13 am

grak wrote:

[i]However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

don't this mean that Native Americans Can buy and sell us since we are all foreigners?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
grak

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:15 am

Quote :
don't this mean that Native Americans Can buy and sell us since we are all foreigners?

<insert Mormon joke here>
Back to top Go down
View user profile
grak

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:21 am

This is my absolute favorite bible story. I guess Abraham got humanity's only freebie:

"At that time the Spirit of the LORD came upon Jephthah, and he went throughout the land of Gilead and Manasseh, including Mizpah in Gilead, and led an army against the Ammonites. And Jephthah made a vow to the LORD. He said, "If you give me victory over the Ammonites, I will give to the LORD the first thing coming out of my house to greet me when I return in triumph. I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering."

"So Jephthah led his army against the Ammonites, and the LORD gave him victory. He thoroughly defeated the Ammonites from Aroer to an area near Minnith – twenty towns – and as far away as Abel-keramim. Thus Israel subdued the Ammonites. When Jephthah returned home to Mizpah, his daughter – his only child – ran out to meet him, playing on a tambourine and dancing for joy. When he saw her, he tore his clothes in anguish. "My daughter!" he cried out. "My heart is breaking! What a tragedy that you came out to greet me. For I have made a vow to the LORD and cannot take it back." And she said, "Father, you have made a promise to the LORD. You must do to me what you have promised, for the LORD has given you a great victory over your enemies, the Ammonites. But first let me go up and roam in the hills and weep with my friends for two months, because I will die a virgin." "You may go," Jephthah said. And he let her go away for two months. She and her friends went into the hills and wept because she would never have children. When she returned home, her father kept his vow, and she died a virgin. So it has become a custom in Israel for young Israelite women to go away for four days each year to lament the fate of Jephthah's daughter." (Judges 11:29-40 NLT)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
taldra

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:43 pm

grak wrote:
This is my absolute favorite bible story. I guess Abraham got humanity's only freebie:

"At that time the Spirit of the LORD came upon Jephthah, and he went throughout the land of Gilead and Manasseh, including Mizpah in Gilead, and led an army against the Ammonites. And Jephthah made a vow to the LORD. He said, "If you give me victory over the Ammonites, I will give to the LORD the first thing coming out of my house to greet me when I return in triumph. I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering."

"So Jephthah led his army against the Ammonites, and the LORD gave him victory. He thoroughly defeated the Ammonites from Aroer to an area near Minnith – twenty towns – and as far away as Abel-keramim. Thus Israel subdued the Ammonites. When Jephthah returned home to Mizpah, his daughter – his only child – ran out to meet him, playing on a tambourine and dancing for joy. When he saw her, he tore his clothes in anguish. "My daughter!" he cried out. "My heart is breaking! What a tragedy that you came out to greet me. For I have made a vow to the LORD and cannot take it back." And she said, "Father, you have made a promise to the LORD. You must do to me what you have promised, for the LORD has given you a great victory over your enemies, the Ammonites. But first let me go up and roam in the hills and weep with my friends for two months, because I will die a virgin." "You may go," Jephthah said. And he let her go away for two months. She and her friends went into the hills and wept because she would never have children. When she returned home, her father kept his vow, and she died a virgin. So it has become a custom in Israel for young Israelite women to go away for four days each year to lament the fate of Jephthah's daughter." (Judges 11:29-40 NLT)

I don't get it... If got give me want i want i have to sacrifice my children to him? or that greater the victory the worse god will make you pay for it? I don't get you people who could follow something like this....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xeos
Officer
Officer

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:51 pm

Topic has wandered a bit from Prop 8. Yes on 8 !!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Honed

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:05 pm

Xeos wrote:
Topic has wandered a bit from Prop 8. Yes on 8 !!

/facepalm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Galt

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:22 pm

PROPOSITION 8 FOR ME TO POOP ON.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fuckyermother.com
Malaese

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:10 pm

Oooh we hit slavery....now all we need is a Hilter reference and we can put this one in the books.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xeos
Officer
Officer

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:10 pm

Hitler killed a bunch of people. Books!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Comotosis

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:53 pm

I like Hitler, he was an hero and doesn't afraid of anything.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Malaese

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:22 pm

Hilter offered free showers to the less fortunate jews.... a true humanitarian.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
grak

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:43 pm

Quote :
Hilter offered free showers to the less fortunate jews.... a true humanitarian.

After being packed in a cattle car for 6 hours, a gold tooth probably seemed like a fair trade for a shower.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xeos
Officer
Officer

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:58 pm

A poor misunderstood artist looking for a fathers approval.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dimidréas

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:29 am

"Hitler AOE grinded."

Honed knows who this came from <_<
Back to top Go down
View user profile
taldra

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:36 am

Dimidréas wrote:
"Hitler AOE grinded."

Honed knows who this came from <_<

I hear hitler supported the Gremlins
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Honed

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:14 am

Comotosis wrote:
I like Hitler, he was an hero and doesn't afraid of anything.

Except vaginas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Damacus

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:18 am

I think we should make it illegal for black people to make rap videos because I don't want my future children to be exposed to that kind of tawdry indecency.

anyone see what I did there?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Damacus

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:19 am

Galt wrote:
Xeos wrote:
Like I said before. Right and wrong, in this context, are always an opinion and a matter of perspective by the very definition of the word.

No, its not an opinion. To strip the rights of another citizen due to your religious views is WRONG.

also, this^ x45643
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 and Christian Traditions   

Back to top Go down

Prop 8 and Christian Traditions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 10 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10