Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

For anyone who didn't see it...

Go down 
+9
Cunningblade
Jelly
PiratePants001
Demoniack
Bakasuya
PB
Galt
Shelarahn
- Z -
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
- Z -

- Z -

For anyone who didn't see it... Empty
PostSubject: For anyone who didn't see it...   For anyone who didn't see it... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 3:06 pm

http://olympicgames2008medaltally.blogspot.com/2008/08/beijing-2008-swimming-men-4x100.html

If you don't follow swimming, the bullet points are thus:

• The French were favored to win (by a considerable margin)
  • At their press conference they informed the world "We are going to smash the United States, it's what we came to the Olympics for."
  • Phelps is going for a record 8 gold medals at one Olympic games, if he missed out on this one, his chances would be shot (probably forever)
  • This is Phelps' second gold medal at Beijing, ninth of all time
  • Jason Lezak swam the final leg of the relay, he's the team captain and oldest member at 33 years old
  • Lezak is widely considered to be out of his prime and his career was over, he was anchoring the race against France's top swimmer (Alain Bernard, the same guy who released the press statement mocking the US)
  • It is just about physically impossible to make up .75 seconds in 100 meters (Lezak made up .57 seconds in the last 50)
  • Team USA broke the previous world record by 4 seconds
  • Cullen Jones is the second black man in history to win a gold medal in swimming
  • He had raced earlier in the day, competing in the qualifying race (and broke the world record then too)

This race is being called the "most incredible swimming relay of all time" and is quickly becoming a sports phenomena compared to the 1980 "miracle on ice" hockey match between the US and Russia.
Back to top Go down
Shelarahn

Shelarahn

PostSubject: Re: For anyone who didn't see it...   For anyone who didn't see it... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 3:10 pm

For anyone who didn't see it... America-fuck-yeah
Back to top Go down
Galt

Galt

PostSubject: Re: For anyone who didn't see it...   For anyone who didn't see it... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 3:17 pm

We have a cold war with France?
Back to top Go down
http://www.fuckyermother.com
- Z -

- Z -

PostSubject: Re: For anyone who didn't see it...   For anyone who didn't see it... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 3:22 pm

Cold War might be a bit much. France has more in common with an inadequate passive aggressive forum troll than a legitimate opponent.
Back to top Go down
Galt

Galt

PostSubject: Re: For anyone who didn't see it...   For anyone who didn't see it... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 3:28 pm

Forum trolls are usually the ones starting the shit though. We didn't have to call it Freedom Toast just because they disagreed with us.
Back to top Go down
- Z -

- Z -

PostSubject: Re: For anyone who didn't see it...   For anyone who didn't see it... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 3:32 pm

Galt wrote:
Forum trolls are usually the ones starting the shit though. We didn't have to call it Freedom Toast just because they disagreed with us.

I couldn't agree more.
Back to top Go down
PB

PostSubject: Re: For anyone who didn't see it...   For anyone who didn't see it... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 3:36 pm

Not really sure how he did it unless the French guy tired out a bit. Obviously he caught some momentum from the French guy's wave, but yes it was pretty incredible. The color commentator announcing that the French had won when Cullen Jones was touching in would have been right any other day but that one because Lezak was inhumanly fast (performance-enhancement drugs? lulz).
Back to top Go down
https://damagedone.forumotion.com
PB

PostSubject: Re: For anyone who didn't see it...   For anyone who didn't see it... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 3:38 pm

lol, even at 20 seconds left he's calling it a French victory because literally, the guy caught up nearly a full body length in the last 25 meters. That is insane. Imagine Lezak's reaction when he sees the video and sees what he did.
Back to top Go down
Galt

Galt

PostSubject: Re: For anyone who didn't see it...   For anyone who didn't see it... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 3:42 pm

Its called VTEC.
Back to top Go down
Bakasuya

Bakasuya

PostSubject: Re: For anyone who didn't see it...   For anyone who didn't see it... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 3:43 pm

Galt wrote:
Its called VTEC.

red means dead
Back to top Go down
Demoniack

Demoniack

PostSubject: Re: For anyone who didn't see it...   For anyone who didn't see it... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 4:11 pm

THEY BROKE A CANADIAN RECORD!
Back to top Go down
- Z -

- Z -

PostSubject: Re: For anyone who didn't see it...   For anyone who didn't see it... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 4:43 pm

My favorite part was at the touch:

Commentator1: "Lezak wins!"

Commentator2: "NO!"

Commentator1: "Yes! The Americans have done it!"

While Lezak did catch some draft (riding on the in-lane is a pretty dumb move, I couldn't believe Bernard made such a rookie mistake) it still doesn't account for his superhuman feat. The only thing I can think of is that a) Bernard took on some water at the flip, or b) he cramped up badly at the end (possibly both). But .08 seconds?* Good lord. I was screaming for him to finish with a half-stroke, but I guess he made the right call gliding it out.

*Can you imagine what would have happened three Olympics ago, before the touch-film? It has only been twelve years since they stopped calling these races by eye.
Back to top Go down
PiratePants001

PiratePants001

PostSubject: Re: For anyone who didn't see it...   For anyone who didn't see it... I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 9:28 pm

brix were shat, i was watching that with my schools swim team.
Back to top Go down
Jelly

Jelly

PostSubject: Re: For anyone who didn't see it...   For anyone who didn't see it... I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 11:09 pm

- Z - wrote:

*Can you imagine what would have happened three Olympics ago, before the touch-film? It has only been twelve years since they stopped calling these races by eye.

It's called a touch PAD (I swam for 13 years).

And it's called adrenaline, not drugs. Shame on PB for suggesting that! Lezak was pumped!
Back to top Go down
Cunningblade

Cunningblade

PostSubject: Re: For anyone who didn't see it...   For anyone who didn't see it... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 12:10 am

wow this thred fucking funny, you guys are like bandwagoning the french for saying how great they are then pretty much do the same thing lol?

Lets all celerbrate how great our country is, oh wait we blow half the world up LOL.

I joke but in all seriousness though I have found it pretty hard to watch these olympics, the NZ coverage is fucking shocking. The reporters have no idea about the sport they are even reporting about and dont even get their lines on tv right. Then you have China making fake fireworks on a TV, Telling us that tibet is fine and theres no problem, Arresting anyone who speaks up with their opinion and having to scoop shit out of the sea so people can even compete in it...

A pretty fucked situation :/
Back to top Go down
http://www.cstrike.co.nz
Demoniack

Demoniack

PostSubject: Re: For anyone who didn't see it...   For anyone who didn't see it... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 12:42 am

For anyone who didn't see it... Tibet
Back to top Go down
Galt

Galt

PostSubject: Re: For anyone who didn't see it...   For anyone who didn't see it... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 8:53 am

Have you seen what Phelps' dimensions are? He's definitely not vitruvian.
Back to top Go down
PB

PostSubject: Re: For anyone who didn't see it...   For anyone who didn't see it... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 9:45 am

Sorry NZ's coverage is so bad, CB, but we're rooting for the home team.

Note, that doesn't mean we're like, "America is the best at everything!" We know we have a pretty screwed up administration and foreign policy, which is why if we're not retards we'll elect Obama to the White House. We're just cheering on the athletes who work so hard, and Phelps is just a dynamo right now.
Back to top Go down
- Z -

- Z -

PostSubject: Re: For anyone who didn't see it...   For anyone who didn't see it... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 1:21 pm

Cunningblade wrote:
wow this thred fucking funny, you guys are like bandwagoning the french for saying how great they are then pretty much do the same thing lol?

Lets all celerbrate how great our country is, oh wait we blow half the world up LOL.

... what?
Back to top Go down
Xeos
Officer
Officer
Xeos

PostSubject: Re: For anyone who didn't see it...   For anyone who didn't see it... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 1:40 pm

- Z - wrote:
Cunningblade wrote:

... what?

Because we can. Thats right I said it. Someone stop us.
Back to top Go down
Lyacine

Lyacine

PostSubject: Re: For anyone who didn't see it...   For anyone who didn't see it... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 1:55 pm

Quote :
which is why if we're not retards we'll elect Obama to the White House.

L O L

This is Hoof btw. Didn't know I was on this account.
Back to top Go down
Xeos
Officer
Officer
Xeos

PostSubject: Re: For anyone who didn't see it...   For anyone who didn't see it... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 2:22 pm

Peanutbutter wrote:
if we're not retards we'll elect Obama to the White House

Romney for Pres!
Back to top Go down
Galt

Galt

PostSubject: Re: For anyone who didn't see it...   For anyone who didn't see it... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 2:53 pm

Xeos wrote:
Romney for Pres!

Suspect
Back to top Go down
Shelarahn

Shelarahn

PostSubject: Re: For anyone who didn't see it...   For anyone who didn't see it... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 4:14 pm

Xeos wrote:
Peanutbutter wrote:
if we're not retards we'll elect Obama to the White House

Romney for Pres!

Huckabee/Romney '08
Back to top Go down
Galt

Galt

PostSubject: Re: For anyone who didn't see it...   For anyone who didn't see it... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 6:10 pm

Didn't know we had so many neocons in here. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: For anyone who didn't see it...   For anyone who didn't see it... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

For anyone who didn't see it...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Public Topics :: Off-Topic-
Jump to: